• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Corn Sugar as Extract Sub

kedro38

Brewer
Reaction score
I just lost about a gallon of American Ale wort due to stupidity.  I remember something I read about adding/replacing extract with corn sugar for various reasons but have never done it.  In a couple days I am adding honey and was thinking about boiling a gallon of water, add the honey, then increase the gravity of the boil by using corn sugar. 

The main reason I like this idea is because I have corn sugar but no extract and this recipe calls for honey and hops to be added during fermentation.  I prefer increasing the volume back five gallons instead figuring out what I want to do with the honey and hops.  There also is not a brew store within an hour of me and I really don't want to pay for shipping on just DME... so basically I’m just wondering others thoughts and experiences are with corn sugar as an extract replacement.

I've used honey a couple times, although per Maine's instructions I do it at flameout, not done it during the ferment. No more than about 12oz, although I am using a lighter grade (wildflower, not clover) this weekend, so I've upped it to a pound. Point being, it jacks the ABV up, so I would use it rather than the corn sugar. Not seen anyone speak of using corn sugar that way..... but, I'm still new so, I would defer to the guys that have been doin' this for some time.

I’m really just curious about adding corn sugar and the affect.  From what I have read it can be used to lighten the body and flavor of the beer when it is used to replace extract.  If about 20% of the fermentable sugar is corn sugar a cidery flavor become present… or at least that is what it says in The Complete Joy of Home Brewing.  I'm guessing I would be around 10-12.5% mark depending on much the honey raises the gravity.

The other use that is mentioned in the book is to increase the alcohol content of the beer.  I did this once to trying it out and it worked but never felt the need to do it again.

Ended up finding a shop closer that had some DME so I decided not to experiment more than I needed to and just used DME.  Anyway... after adding the gallon to the fermented I noticed that two layers of sediment formed and thought it was interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 3
Back