• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

difference between gravities

bootlegger

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I just noticed something. I've been using beersmith for years and finally saw that there's a estimated OG and a measured OG. On my last brew the measured OG was 1.10 as opposed to 1.43(which is what I actually got) which was the estimated OG.  Can anyone enlighten me on what the heck that's all about? ???

Despite repeated requests, the Mind Reading functionality has yet to be implemented into BeerSmith.  :p  Until then, there are a few things you need to enter, in order to track your beer and adjust profiles to accurately predict your results.  :D

The measurements above are not making sense, unless you dropped a zero. Perhaps 1.010 and 1.045, respectively, are what you meant?

"Measured" volumes and gravities in the mash and fermentation tabs are where you can input the actual number you measured. Hopefully, that will solve the inaccuracy you noted.

The measurement is Original Gravity.  It measures how much sugar and stuff is disolved in the wort.  The Estimated is what BeerSmith calculates what you should get when you enter all the data into the program correctly and measured is the ACTUAL gravity that you got by performing your mash (assuming all-grain).  Any discrepancy is due to inaccurate data entered by you, staleness of ingredients, fluxuation in temperates, etc.  Don't forget to use the Hydrometer adjust tool to account for the wort temperature.

Back