• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fly sparging - Mash profile question

S

schmitage

I've searched around and can't find an answer to this.  I have the pgrm setup for a 11gal batch.  I do fly sparging.  I cannot for the life of me get this thing to calculate correctly when choosing Single Infusion, Medium Body.  It does my strike water correctly, but then says mashout w/ 14qt of 168 water.  I usually go through almost 40quarts when sparging an 11gal batch.  

I just don't get it.  Mashin: 25qt.  Mashout 14qt.  Batch size 11gal (44qt), boil volume: 13.25gal.  The program is not functioning correctly or something, no idea.  I double checked everything and everything seems to be entered correctly... i'm lost.

Thanks for any help.  

Did you take a look at the brewsheet?  If you are using the regular "Single infusion" profiles, they have both a mashout step and also a step to sparge the remaining water.

Also, if you have not done so you should make sure your equipment settings are correct.  This link should help:

http://www.beersmith.com/equipment_setup.htm

Please feel free to post again if you have additional questions.  Also, emailing the recipe to me can help since I can sometimes find the culprit.

Thanks!
Brad

Ya, on the brewsheet it shows to sparge w/ 9+ gallons.  But on the mash profile, it doesn't.   I don't get it...

The brewsheet shows all steps including the sparge step.  The mash profile shows only steps in the mash, which for the standard profiles includes a mash out step to raise the temperature of the mash (if there is one)

I recommend using the brewsheet as a guideline when brewing since it includes all of the data you need to brew.

Cheers!
Brad

Back