• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Overwrite BS data files option

burtbros

Apprentice
Reaction score
If a user wishes to change the data folder in their BS software, any data that exists in the new folder is overwritten.

This presents a serious consequence that has led to the overwriting of the users data files on many occasions.

A workaround is to make a copy of your data folder and then re-copy that folder to the new data folder location after your have changed the BS data folder configuration.

At a minimum, rather than blindly overwrite the users data, could we have an option?  A pop-up that will ask the user if the data should be overwritten?

This will allow users to change their data folder without having to resort to the workaround.  It will have the added benefit that new or novice users will not unknowingly wipe out their data.

Anybody who has changed their data folder location has learned this lesson the hard way.  I lost my entire BS data files when I first started.

A simple test for the presence of any config file in the new folder location should prompt with an option to overwrite or not.

Please, can we get this in the next release?

Thanks,
  The program does give a big warning when you change the directory, but yes I will look at the option of making a backup as well.

Brad

Thanks for the prompt reply Brad.

Love the software, BTW!

Most software does not overwrite the contents of the data folder when changing the folder.  Indeed, I have never encountered this before.  FWIK, this is not the norm.

Occasionally, a technically savvy user may wish to keep two sets of datafiles.  It could happen.  The "feature" of BS to overwrite the datafiles on folder switch makes this very difficult to achieve. Backup, change folder, copy data.  Not impossible, but not user friendly.

If there is any way to make the overwriting optional with a prompt, that would be superior to making a backup IMHO.

Perhaps there is a reason that prevents this from being done, in which case, not a problem.  I don't need to change data folders often.  I am just speaking from a user perspective.

Thanks again for the great software!  Keep up the good work...

Back