• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling my barley wine

StewSon

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey all . . .
I'm planning on bottling my barley wine to give away as gifts. My intention is to bottle in wine bottles using a regular cork. I'm planning on adding unfermented wort to bottle condition and I am concerned that the carbonation would force out the cork. Does anyone have any advice on how much wort (SG of 1.056) to add to a 4.5 gallon batch so the BW is lightly carbonated (2 or 2.5 volumes) but not so it becomes a geyser? I've also read that bottling yeast might be a good idea as the original yeast might be stressed. Any suggestions on what type of yeast? The origian yeast was Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast 1388). FG of the BW is 1.010.
Thanks, Stew

I'd be interested in what you came up with and how it worked.

BeerSmith says you need 3.66 oz of DME to get 2.4 volumes in 5 gallons.

Assuming that 3.66 oz of DME is in 1 quart of water, you would need 20 x that much (73.2 oz) in 5 gallons, which would give an OG of 1.036.

Assuming (again - that's two assumptions and counting) that you're going to use wort from a batch you'll be brewing shortly before you bottle the earlier batch: you can use a volume of that wort in proportion to the ratio of 1.036 : the OG of your new batch.

If the new batch has an OG of 1.050:
(36 * 32)/([OG - 1] * 1000) = oz of wort needed to prime 5 gallons
(36 * 32) / ( [1.050 - 1] * 1000 = oz of wort needed to prime  5 gallons 
  1152 / (0.050 * 1000) = oz of wort needed to prime  5 gallons
  1152 / 50 = oz of wort needed to prime  5 gallons
  23.04 = oz of wort needed to prime  5 gallons

Just to be safe, you could dilute the 23.04 oz to 1 quart to confirm that its OG is 1.036.

Aren't you glad you weren't the kid who sat in the back of algebra class and said, "What are we ever gonna' use this stuff for?"

Please check my work. I'm the kid who sat in the back of algebra class and said, "What are we every gonna' use this stuff for?"

Looks like a mess to me. Sparkling wine is bottled using special corks that are wired to the bottle. Otherwise they'll pop out.  That and the bottles are much more sturdy so they can withstand the pressure.

I'm afraid you may be making bottle bombs.

My first thought is to use swing-top bottles instead. Again though, you'd want ones that are made to handle the pressure. The ones made for specialty oils and vinegars may burst. Being that these are for gifts, the swing-tops would give them character. Just a thought.

Back