• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Excessive foam from keg

cpapkt

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a quick question regarding an issue I am having with beer from one of my corney kegs.  I have two kegs hooked up with a Taprite single body regulator.  I have the pressure set around 5 psi.  My Killian's clone was pouring fine.  I force carbed my Polish Ale and every time I pour from my Polish ale I get a lot of foam.  I have read the articles about the length of tube affecting the pour, but I am using the same picnic tap for both kegs and not having a problem with the Killians.  I left the CO2 turned up overnight on the Polish Ale which I did not do on the Killians.  I am guessing that may be why.  I disconnected the CO2 from the Polish Ale for a couple hours last night and that did not seem to help. 

Does anyone have any ideas on why I may be getting so much foam from my Polish Ale?

Try bleeding the CO2 from the keg then reapplying CO2 at 4 or 5 PSI.

I actually disconnected the CO2 from the keg last night for a couple hours then reconected.  I poured a beer after a walk (hey a study said beer is a good after workout drink) and it came out slow with less foam but it slowed almost to stopping by the time the glass was filled.  So I reconnected.  We'll see what happens next pour.

I disconnected my keg overnight and let the keg sit outside of the fridge to allow it to warm up and the CO2 to escape but not luck.  Nothing came out of the prv so I reconnected and chilled so I could drink my creation.  I'll just deal with the foam and not let the CO2 sit so high after shaking it.

After considerable trial (and some error) I have discovered a way to eliminate foam issues such as what you are experiencing. First of all, I never leave CO2 on my kegs. I always turn it off. The only foam issues I have are when I first hook up a fresh keg. I've found that the best way to "break in" a keg is to give a quick 3-5 second blast from the tap into a pitcher. Then I bleed the keg (purge CO2) until I can almost not hear any gas. Initial pours a somewhat of a trickle, but I get more beer than foam. After a few days, everything will stabilize. When I need to increase the flow from the tap, I give a quick blast of C02. This method works very well for me. I lost a full tank of CO2 one time due to a leak in an o-ring. My regulator has a shut off valve where I can cut off the gas with my finger as opposed to having to turn off the entire cylinder. Hope this helps.

Back