• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Import recipe re-arranges mash steps

burtbros

Apprentice
Reaction score
If the mash steps in a recipe are not strictly increasing in temperature, and the recipe is exported and then imported, the mash steps are re-arranged in increasing temp order.

If for some reason, you have mash steps of 120, 130, 150 (in a decoction for example) and then return it to the mashtun at 140, BS correctly shows the steps in that order.  But if you export and re-import the steps are rearranged with the 140 between the 130 and 150.

becomes:

That is a good question.

A well respected brewer shared his recipe for HefeWeisen during a recent group brewing session.

The recipe calls for a bit of an unusual procedure.  A concoction is withdrawn and run through a stepped mash and boiled and then returned to the main mash.  The main mash is then run through a temperature step and sparged.  The temps for the concoction include 212 for the boil, and precede the 240 steps in the main mash.

Yes, the procedure is unusual, but I am tasting the results as we speak, and this is one incredible Hefe!

The order of the mash steps should not be rearranged on import in any normal circumstance.  Why should it?  Why should BS change the recipe?

BS also does not support a stepped temperature decoction, but I fudged it by using multiple conconctions at temp steps.  At least the timer works.

Hope that answers your question!

I'm not understanding where you can add heat that then lowers the temperature.

But, your main issue was why it would rearrange the temp steps to ascending order. Besides referring you back to my confusion  :-\ I would ask "why wouldn't BeerSmith correct an error?" I realize it isn't in your case, but don't you think it'd be one otherwise?

I couldn't even reduce mash temperature in commercial brewing software packages I've used.

There are procedures that are just assumed. Oxygenation of wort, sanitizing fermenters and bttles. These are not outlined in BeerSmith, either.

Classic decoction involves 10 minute rests at each of the major enzyme ranges above the starting temperature, before boiling for 20 minutes. You account for that in the rise time of the decoction. For a third decoction, no rests are required. It's just a procedure that an experienced brewer will know and follow, as suits their needs.

brewfun said:
I'm not understanding where you can add heat that then lowers the temperature.

But, your main issue was why it would rearrange the temp steps to ascending order. Besides referring you back to my confusion  :-\ I would ask "why wouldn't BeerSmith correct an error?" I realize it isn't in your case, but don't you think it'd be one otherwise?

I couldn't even reduce mash temperature in commercial brewing software packages I've used.

There are procedures that are just assumed. Oxygenation of wort, sanitizing fermenters and bttles. These are not outlined in BeerSmith, either.

Classic decoction involves 10 minute rests at each of the major enzyme ranges above the starting temperature, before boiling for 20 minutes. You account for that in the rise time of the decoction. For a third decoction, no rests are required. It's just a procedure that an experienced brewer will know and follow, as suits their needs.

Thanks for the feedback.  I understand that it is a bit confusing.  Just for reference, the author of the procedure is a well respected brewer and former President of our countries oldest brew club, The Maltose Falcons.  Brad has met Steve.  I am a newbie, I respect his methods.

So how does the temperature decline?  I will try to explain.

If the main mash is at 150 F and one third is removed and boiled at 212 F, when the boiled mash is returned to the main mash, the temperature of the main mash will rise, but will not rise to the 212 F.  The temperature of the boiled mash is likewise now the same as the main mash, which is less than the 212 F.

The temperature of the combined decoction portion and the main mash will equilibriate somewhere in between.  This is the temperature decline that you are making reference to.  The decoction mash temperature declines.

So the steps go 150 -> 212 -> 180
                        main    decoc    main

and BS rearranges them on import to:
                          150 -> 180 -> 212
Which is clearly not correct.

Yes, confusing.  And yes, a procedure that is unusual, but with results that are unbelievable.  Best Hefe I have ever tasted.

Finally, my issue is not with the brewing procedure, but that BS software overrides the recipe that is properly configured with an alternative based on an erroneous assumption that BS knows better.

Back