• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding ingredients during fermentation

mastweb

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just brewed a beer and I will add honey after one week of fermentation. When I formulate the recipe, I can't find a way to add the honey during the fermentation in Beersmith. When I print the recipe, the honey affects the pre-boil and post-boil gravity. The honey in the recipe is suppose to give 10 points of gravity. So, accourding to the recipe, I was suppose to be at 1.049 post-boil, but I really was suppose to be at 1.039 since the honey will be added later...

Is there any way to do this? In my case it's easy to calculate since I know it gives 10 points, but it could be tricky if I didn't know how much my honey should bring.

Thanks!

IMO, honey needs to be part of the boil.  If not for sanitation purposes, then just to get it mixed in without introducing oxygen to a fermenting beer.  The honey will almost completely ferment out no matter when you add it, so adding it at the end of the boil, at flame out, or in your secondary is done to preserve the flavors and aromas of the honey.

I want to add it right after the primary fermentation so that the fragile flavors of the honey don't volatilize with the CO2. It is a really simple beer, not too malty, not a lot of hops. So, I want to keep as much flavor as I can from the honey.

But my question about Beersmith could apply to adding some sugar too (sometime a few times) during fermentation when you make a extra strong beer. I'd like to be able to add it later in the "brew steps". Just to see how to OG should be before adding it during fermentation...

Yes, I too would like to add post boil sugars in the brew steps without it affecting the OG

dont add honey to the boil unless you dont want to taste it

Did you find a way to add this in the software? I also added honey during fermentation and would like to be able to see if my numbers are correct.

I'm also curious if this would be possible (and how).

Adding sugar during the fermentation is also usefull if you brew heavy beers. If you let the yeast work with the maltsugars first (by not adding the sugar during the boil), you will get a better attenuation. After the primary fermentation, you can add the sugar and the yeast will not have any problems fermenting it.

Is there a function in BeerSmith to add "Brew Steps" to the fermentation section e.g. Add 1lbs Corn Sugar on day 2 of fermentation?

I mark the sugar as 'add after boil' then put a comment into the 'notes' section such as "Add to fermenter on 3rd day of fermentation".  This will print at the end of the brew data on the brew steps report when printed out.

Back