• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Final Volume ?

jweidman

Apprentice
Reaction score
so i have been using beersmith for a few months now and i love it but i keep noticing that my final volume is coming up to 9 gallons, i have the batch volume set to 10 gallons so i assumed that it adjusted for the final volume to be 10 gallons.

questions i have are.

did i not set something up right?

should i set the batch size to 11 gallons to make it 10 gallons?

attached is a screen shot of my equipment setup

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-29 at 9.57.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-29 at 9.57.03 AM.png
    175 KB · Views: 423
I set my fermenter loss to 0. 

I brew 5 gallon batches.  I start with about 7.5 gallons of wort.  I evaporate off about a gallon and fill my 6 gallon carboy about an inch or so below the neckline.  When I am done, I have just about 5 full gallons. 

Basically, I know my system and just need to have my starting volume.  The rest is just happens.

I think you can either click the box 'adjust mash volume for deadspace'  or add your lauter tun deadspace loss back in as top up water.  Seems like you get a large loss volume from lauter tun deadspace?

yeah well thats what i get for having a 15 gallon with a false bottom, i have tried the "adjust mash volume for deadspace" and it didnt adjust anything i guess ill have to keep fiddling with it thanks for the help guys....

Cheers

Batch Volume is what you want to transfer to the Fermenter, which you've set as ten. 

You also have set up one gallon of loss WITHIN the fermenter, leaving your final volume as nine. 

If you really do lose a full gallon in the fermenter, then you'd need to make eleven as Batch Volume in order to finish up with ten after fermentation. 

Back