• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermenting Beer on a Wine Cooler - What about the light?

AWR

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all!

I just started my first brew, a Muntons Smuggler's Ale and I am using a Wine Cooler as my fermenting chamber with a 6 gallon plastic bucket. 

I would like to ask if should I cover the glass door with something to prevent daylight and electric light from skunking my beer. As far as I am concerned the glass is UV proof, but still I am in doubt. Also it has a blue led lighting that looks awesome when turned on, would you reckon that might trouble my fermenting booze?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Alex

Nothing to worry about.

1.  The LED doesn't make any UV light.
2.  You are likely correct about the glass and UV coatings.  Wine is light sensitive too.
3.  Your house windows are also UV coated. 
4.  Your bucket is not transparent.

tom_hampton said:
Nothing to worry about.

1.  The LED doesn't make any UV light.
2.  You are likely correct about the glass and UV coatings.  Wine is light sensitive too.

Thanks for the prompt reply Tom! This is great, I've been staring at the airlock bubble all the time (bit retard I know) and I can also see the Krausen when I turn on the blue led lights so it is nice to have a clear door. Will post a picture just to celebrate!

Alex

Attachments

• ok.png
    ok.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 8
My first brew has been on the fermentor for around 30 hours. When I woke up today I noticed less activity on the airlock than yesterday night. I opened the door for a few seconds, and it seems it resumed activity and already looks stronger.

Is it possible for a small wine cooler like mine (112 ltrs.) that the gas produced by the brew will raise the internal pressure to the point where it would stop the exchange and halt the fermentation process?

Thanks for any replies.

Alex

AWR said:
My first brew has been on the fermentor for around 30 hours. When I woke up today I noticed less activity on the airlock than yesterday night. I opened the door for a few seconds, and it seems it resumed activity and already looks stronger.

Is it possible for a small wine cooler like mine (112 ltrs.) that the gas produced by the brew will raise the internal pressure to the point where it would stop the exchange and halt the fermentation process?

Thanks for any replies.

Alex

Pressure would not be an issue. At what temperature are you keeping the Wine Cooler?

tom_hampton said:
Nothing to worry about.

1.  The led light doesn't make any UV light.

So which lights are best suited for fermenting beer..You seems to be experienced person so please help me..

Back