• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Select / Deselect Ingredients in Real Time

wedwards

Apprentice
Reaction score
Have been making some new recipes for my 50L braumeister (however this would apply to any brewing system I think), where the gravity is pretty high (things like a russian imperial stout with 1.100SG).  The all grain versions of these recipes call for something like 26kg of grain for a 50L batch to get the gravity up where it needs to be, however the braumeister cant handle that amount of grain in one hit (13-15kg is the most I am happy with).

There are a couple of ways to handle this, one is to perform 2 separate mashes, leaving the wort in the braumeister for the second mash and end up with a concentrated wort after the second mash.  The other way to handle this is to drop the pale malt down in the grain bill and then add dry malt extract to the boil to bring the gravity up.

I was trying to achieve the second option and found that it would be really nice to be able to simply deselect the items I was reducing and then add in the substitutes and adjust accordingly.  If I don't like the result I can deselect that ingredient temporarily, or delete it.  This would allow me to really tweak recipes without a lot of changes, then cancelling and closing the recipe and then re-opening it to start again.

This would also be a really nice function to have where certain ingredients are hard to get and need to be substituted (I am from Australia, and this is especially relevant to a lot of recipes from our American brewers).  The original recipe could still be kept intact, but the substituted ingredients could simply be deselected and the new ingredients added in.  You then can see what the original recipe called for, and what changes you have made to it.

Hope that makes sense.

Back