• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Celia Gluten Free Beer

MikeinRH

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
A friend of mine is in Italy and has heard about this beer. Do any of you have personal experience brewing a gluten-free beer ... and can you share your recipe, if satisfied with the end result?

Gluten Free Brewing
There are some good Gluten Free Brewing resources available online.  Most of the brewing forums such as Beersmith do not have a separate forum dedicated to gluten free brewing (but they should). Home Brew Talk is the only one I know of, so as far as forums go I recommend looking there as they have some experienced GF brewers.
Another resource is on Facebook, search GlutenFreeHomeBrewing.  He has a nice page which includes tutorials on brewing all grain and also a nice recipe database.
If you are not a Facebook fan the he has created a website with the same resource info:
http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org/
I’ve suggested to Brad that he might consider interviewing the owner for a podcast.
I’ve recently had to convert from being a long time all grain brewer to gluten free (GF).  I’ve started with extract because malted GF grains are not as well understood as barley, wheat, and rye.  You can buy malted GF grain from Colorado Malting Company but these will require some additional roasting to create anything other than the basic pale, e.g. crystal.
I started with several kits as a way to explore before creating my own.  The basic ingredients are Sorghum extract and Brown rice extract.  Honey and Malto Dextrin are also common.  All hops are GF.  Dry yeast is your best GF choice though white labs produces GF, not wyeast.
Here are a few basic recipes from BYO to give you an idea:
http://byo.com/scottish-ale/item/698-gluten-free-brewing
Gluten-Free Recipe
Simple Simon Sorghum Beer
5 gallons/19 L, extract; OG = 1.047 FG = 1.011; IBU = 22 SRM = 8 ABV = 4.7%
Ingredients
6 lb. 11 oz. (3.0 kg) BriesSweet White Sorghum Syrup 45 DE High Maltose
0.50 lbs. (0.23 kg) honey
6 AAU Tettnang hops (60 mins) (1.5 oz./43 g of 4% alpha acids)
Danstar Nottingham dried ale yeast
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)
Step by Step
Heat 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of water to a boil, then stir in sorghum syrup. Return wort to a boil, then add hops and boil for 60 minutes. At the end of the boil, stir in honey with a sanitized spoon, then cool wort until sides of brewpot are cool to the touch. Transfer wort to a sanitized fermenter and top up with water to 5 gallons (19 L). Aerate wort and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C). Bottle with corn sugar.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overlook Amber Ale (Redrum Sorghum Beer)
5 gallons/19 L, partial mash; OG = 1.055 FG = 1.014; IBU = 33 SRM = 10+ ABV = 5.3%
Ingredients
5.0 lbs. (2.3 kg) white sorghum malt (base malt)
1.0 lbs. (0.45 kg) white sorghum malt (kilned/toasted malt)
4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) BriesSweet White Sorghum Syrup 45 DE High Maltose
1 tsp amylase enzymes
7 AAU Centennial hops (60 mins) (0.58 oz./16 g of 12% alpha acids)
2.5 AAU Cascade hops (30 mins) (0.50 oz./14 g of 5% alpha acids)
0.50 oz. (14 g) Amarillo hops (0 mins)
Fermentis Safale S-04 dried ale yeast
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)
Step By Step
Malt 6.0 lbs. (2.7 kg) of white sorghum. Toast 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) of this malt. Perform a triple decoction mash, then heat mash to 180 °F (82 °C) and stir in amylase enzymes. Collect wort, add syrup and boil wort for 60 minutes. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C).

Back