• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starter

devildogdust

Apprentice
Reaction score
Beersmith2 says I need a 1.6 liter starter. I pitch a pack of S-04 yeast into 1.6 liters of wort on my stir plate. Let it spin for twenty-four hours. Turn off the stir plate and let it settle at room temperature. I decant 1.4 liters of clear beer off the yeast cake and pitch the .2 liters of yeast cake. 

Question? Have I pitched a 1.6 liter starter or a 200 mililiter starter? My guess is that it still counts as a 1.6 liter starter as the spent wort plays no useful role in my 5 gallon carboy.

When you decant 1.4 liters, you pour it down the drain.  You are only pitching the remaining 200ML.

Thanks but my question was what do I count in my recipe in beersmith (a) a 1.6 liter starter or a (b) 200 mililiter starter?

You are only adding 200ml as much of that is a yeast cake.  I would not check the Add to Bottling Volume box.  I would not include it in volumes. 

devildogdust said:
I pitch a pack of S-04 yeast into 1.6 liters of wort on my stir plate.

How many cells did it calculate you needed for this batch/gravity?  Dry yeast 11 gram packs contain 200+ billion cells if they're reasonably fresh.  And it's hard to predict what happens to dry yeast when put directly into wort and not rehydrated with water first. 

Back