• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Belgian Wit - Brad's

Dhostetter

Apprentice
Reaction score
I started a 5 gallon batch of Brad’s Belgian Wit on 4/28. I'm a little concerned that the fermentation is going to long. As of today the brew is still fermenting with 1 to 2 bubbles / second and still has a thick head. I know I should use a gravity reading to make the final determination regarding fermentation but it's pretty obvious that something is still working. The recipe said primary for 4 days and secondary for 10. I understood this to mean that the fermentation should last about 4 days. Is this correct? I didn't want to move it to the secondary until the fermentation is completed.
Being new to brewing I think I'm missing something.
If the batch is fermenting there is no reason to move it to a secondary. It's just going to continue in the secondary. With a little bit of agitating moving it to the secondary it may even increase the fermentation a little.
My plan is to just let it run its course.
Can someone enlighten me? Am I missing something?

Dave

Probably time for a FG check and a taste check.  How did it start out?  Slowly or quickly/aggressive?  Did you make a yeast starter or just pitch a vial/package?  Aerate/oxygenate the wort? 

If the cell count was low, it may have taken a while to get going. 

16 days is a bit long for an average-gravity Witbier.  Honestly, since wits can be cloudy, I bet most would not bother to transfer it. 

When the FG is stable over 1-2 days, it's likely done and has transitioned to clearing up the by-products. 

The time it takes for a brew to fully ferment varies - there are several factors involved such as yeast strain and viability, fermentability of the wort, temperature, pitch rate, etc.

Your ideas to check the gravity and just let it run its course are spot on. Those two things are key to ensuring fermentation has done what it was supposed to do.

I wouldn't rack to a secondary unless you are adding ingredients, dry-hopping, or using fining agents - you'd just be adding opportunities for infection and oxidation - the primary is a perfectly suitable environment for your brew to do what it needs to do until it's time to package (keg, bottles, whatever).

Welcome to beer brewing Dhostetter:)

There are many factors that could influence both how your fermentation is doing and the final result (as both Philm63 and MaltLicker also indicated). To my opinion it is better to trust on gravity readings than on a recipe indicating certain days of primary and days of secondary. They are just an indication.
You are writing that you are in doubt if the fermentation still is going.
I would suggest that you perform a gravity reading a.s.a.p. and repeat this after a couple of days. When the value of your readings are not changing over a period of 2-3 days, you may assume you reached your final gravity.

With your next beer (don't give up, you show patience and that's a very good thing in beer brewing) you take a reading when transferring the cold wort to your fermentor. This is the starting point (Original Gravity) for your readings during the fermentation.

Regards,
Slurk

Thanks for everyone responding! (I love this forum!)
I used Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) vial. It started rather quickly. I pitched around 7pm and by 11pm there was activity. The next morning it was going strong.
I think I'll wait another day or two and check the gravity. I did check the gravity right after chilling. 1.050 if I remember right but would have to check my notes.

When I do decide to rack the brew I was going to put it in a keg and let it sit. Is there any issue with just racking it to a keg? I know the first couple of draws will have sediment.
Thoughts?

Wits are best enjoyed fresh.  Once you are comfortable with the FG being stable, keg, carbonate and tap it. 

Just a quick follow-up, waited another week and tested the gravity and it was right on. 1.012.
Kegged that bad boy and have to say its tastes pretty good for my first Wit.
Even the wife likes it. Now on to an IPA!

Again thanks everyone who gave advise!

Back