Author Topic: Growing Hops  (Read 10526 times)

Offline whelk doctor

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Growing Hops
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
Have grown hops in the past. From what I remember the plant spends the first year after being moved to a new location establishing it's root system. Next spring it should put out new shoots. Pick the strongest 3 or 4 of these and remove the others. These 3 strong shoots can then be trained around your wires. Beware though, in the height of the season they can grow about 6 inches a day!

Offline canuckbrewer

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »
well my Cascades bit the bullet for some reason however my Fuggles seem to be going strong.  I am not sure but I believe it may have to do with the fact I began them in a pot and that helped establish a root structure. 
At any rate I am hopeful to get a few hop cones this year but if not then I will be holding out until next years harvest

Offline RiverBrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 3+ Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »
     I have 150+ hills of hops, 2/3 of the hills are 2-3 year, 1/3 new rhizomes cut from my own plants. It was a tough year in NY for newbie plants this year, They grew but they were lame, stringy, and only minor amount of cones. Too much early season rain, and too much intense heat early season.

One thing to remember is that new rhizomes have shallow roots close to the surface. A couple of sunny hot days, without watering, can dry the ground to a fatal level for the plant. I usually water daily at sundown so the roots have maximum exposure to the moisture. When I go on vacation, I have to make sure they get watered at least every other day by someone, daily, if temps are near 90 degrees. Hops love and need water, but they don't like to be flooded.
Enjoy good beer daily.....Hell is a dry town!
Retired with an Ultra Limited ride!

Offline Munds_Park_Brewing

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
Cut the vines and moved the plants back down to the Phoenix area for the winter… In this weather they still have a hand full of leaves sticking out. Hopefully this will give them a quick jumpstart this spring.

modification