• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Few Questions

theQ

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

Here some questions I have after doing 1 recipe using BeerSmith 2 but before I start I really like it.

1. Is there a way to change the disk location for the recipe folder ? I prefer to point to my google drive folder that's remotely backed up.
2. Mash volumes are in quarts, can we toggle to gallons ?
3. I am totally confused by the Mash in Options
  • I try to do a Mash In at 148F for 45 minutes with Batch Sparge at 160F (2 steps).  The Spage volume is reported at 9gal, the mash volume at 11gal with an absorption of the 3gal (1.25 ratio). The pre boil estimated volume is at 14+galons. I don't get it is, the grain absorption added twice ? How do I do this right in BeerSmith ?
  • If I change the Mash profile in the recipe and hit ok, will that change the system profile for the chosen Mash profile ? 

I will stop here for now.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ps.

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 28 lbs
Sparge Water: 9.30 gal Grain Temperature: 65.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 65.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 35.00 qt of water at 160.1 F 148.0 F 45 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.96gal, 7.35gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Don't know about disk locations. I still don't know where recipes are stored.

For gallons in mash instead of quarts:
"Options' is on the 4th menu bar down in the default view. there is a tab for "volumes" there and then I think it's "Batch Volume Units"

As far as changing default mash parameters: I would create a new recipe called "default" and put the mash profile how you want it and then on the 3rd menu bar down in the default recipe view click on "Set As Default". Then in the future open the recipe called "default" and make changes to how you want the default recipe to look and again click Set As Default.

As far as extra water goes. What is the "batch size", "Boil off amount", "trub losses", "Tun Dead space"?

Thanks !

Here the Equipment profile

Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Mash Volume: 15.00 gal
Boil Volume: 12.92 gal
Mash Tun Weight: 20 lbs
Evaporation Rate: 15.5 % Mash Tun Specific Heat: 0.12 cal/g-deg C
Boil Time: 60 Mash Tun Deadspace: 0.25 gal
Top-up for Boiler: 0.00 gal Equip Hop Utilization: 100.00 %
Losses to Trub/Chiller: 0.50 gal Cooling Loss (%): 4.00
Top up water for Fermenter: 0.00 gal 

Two more question
1. How to use the versioning ?
2. How to add sugar ? I don't see "fermentables" I search for dextrose, sugar or syrup - I saw nothing. Is that even possible ? And it should have an impact over the gravity and ABV right ?

theQ said:

1. How to use the versioning ?

Version doesn't do much it,s mostly there your show. Your better off doing  Save As and incorporating a version number in the recipe name.

I think version is just there to confuse people as well.

I have an ingredient for sugar under the "add grain" on the main recipe screen.

Your evaporation on 12.92 gallons(you said preboil was over 14 gallons in 1st post?) is
2 gallons
trub loss 0.5 gallons
cooling 0.5 gallons
tun deadspace 0.25 gallons

So the 3 gallons matches the absorbtion rate of 3 gallons.

Versioning works very well for me by using the brew log folder.  As I brew a recipe and update the brew date, it now shows in date order when I sort by the date column

Have fun
Rick

I may be missing something, but any time I change the version number all It does is ask if I want to save it under another name. All I've ever found for the brew log is the recipe folder where all the recipe's are save, dated and can be sorted.

yeah, can you please repeat that but slower this time toy4rick?

grathan said:
yeah, can you please repeat that but slower this time toy4rick?

+1 I can't agree more that the versioning is pretty useless.

Back