• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't connect to beersmith cloud (Ubuntu)

oliverdrake

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey Brad,
I've been having issues connecting to the beersmith cloud for ages now, it used to only work intermittently at my last flat and since moving to my new place (new ISP, new router and OS upgrade) I can't connect at all. I've looked through the forum to see if there was already a fix or workaround for this but didn't see one.
Symptom: When I click View->Cloud I see the spinning icon next to 'Cloud - Offline' indicating it's trying to establish a connection, however no recipes appear. I've tried copying local recipes to the cloud folder but they don't appear on my account. I took a wireshark capture looking for any IP traffic heading to/from the beersmith cloud (filter: ip.dst_host == 198.20.65.226) but I don't see anything (unless I fire up a browser and navigate to beersmithrecipes.com - then I see normal HTTP GET traffic in wireshark). You mentioned in another thread that beersmith desktop queries the cloud on port 80 - does it use another IP address by chance? If not it looks like the program is not attempting to establish a connection at all. Does the application produce any logging that I could look at?
Output of netstat -apn:
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:40850        127.0.0.1:53            ESTABLISHED 4992/beersmith2 
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:43076        127.0.0.1:53            ESTABLISHED 4992/beersmith2     
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:37583        127.0.0.1:53            ESTABLISHED 4992/beersmith2         
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:36400        127.0.0.1:53            ESTABLISHED 4992/beersmith2
Could only see udp sockets for beersmith...

I've also deleted all the existing recipes on my cloud account (didn't need them), but this didn't have any effect.

Other details:
Linux Mint 13 Maya 64bit (Linux 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
Beersmith 2.1.02
Cloud user: drakeol
Also I'm currently using dropbox on the entire beersmith directory to sync files between my ubuntu machine and a windows machine - seems to work fine but probably worth mentioning.

Any info/help you can give would be much appreciated, looking forward to trying beersmith mobile :)

Cheers,
Oliver

Hi,
  I really don't know what the problem is here.  I've tested it on Linux here and it seems to work fine.  I might suggest trying a proxy server (there is an option to do this under Options->Cloud) which would rule out a problem with your ISP or internet firewall settings?

Brad

Hi Brad,
Thanks for getting back to me, an update on my findings so far:
Using a third party proxy from home worked for me - apart from the fact it wouldn't allow some of the uploads as the requests were too big, because I used an arbitrary free proxy which has some hard-coded limit on request size.
I installed beersmith at work (same operating system, same beersmith version, different ISP I believe) and everything worked fine :)
So I've narrowed the problem down to being either in my ISP or in my router. There's no filtering enabled in my router, so I raised a ticket with my ISP a week ago, still waiting to hear back.
Will post again when I've heard back from my ISP and/or have come up with a nice workaround,
Cheers,
Oliver

Back