• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Orange Flavor Suggestions

Dhostetter

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want to make an IPA that has an orange flavor to it.
I just made a Wit and used the orange bitter and coriander mainly to see how those flavors presented themselves in the Wit. After tasting I’m pretty sure that the flavor of the orange and coriander will be unnoticeable with the hop additions. I’m not sure if doubling or tripling the orange and coriander will accomplish anything.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting that orange flavor?

Orange is rather delicate.  I have used bitter orange and coriander as well but only in a pale.  It takes a lot to compete with the hops and bitterness of an IPA.  I also added zest from ripe California navel oranges and used citrus oriented hops.

+1 on fresh citrus zest.  I always do that on my witbier, and would think that zest would complement any citrusy hops you used. 

I've always added zest at flameout or just after as it's cooling.  About two ounces I think.

Back