• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Eff off

grathan

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Beersmith says my mash eff is %50.
I checked this on Brewer's Friend Calculator and my mash eff was %70.
Somebody is lying to me...

I think Beersmith is taking my late addition sugar and rice syrup additions and counting it towards my mash even though I specifically entered late addition in the "Late Extract Boil Time" box on the ingredient popup dialog.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think BSmith does count all sugars in the recipe in its pre-boil and post-boil OG estimates.  If you reduce those items to zero, you can get a "mash only" estimate. 

So your saying it's not a bug? I can't see how this could be intended or serves any useful purpose by not checking to see which ingredients are in the mash.

I can't speak to the Mash Eff question, but I've run into the OG and pre-boil issue before like so:  I check my pre-boil gravity with refractometer, and it's 13 points low, I freak, and then realize I have not added some syrup and some cane sugar that I usually add at 20 minutes with the chiller. 

Since that first time freaking out, I now zero out those type ingredients to get the expected gravity from just the mash so that I have an accurate forecast to check on.  Then I add them back and print that version as my brew-day worksheet.

It would be nice to have a toggle that showed TOTAL OG and Mash Items OG.  Or maybe an "Exclude Added Sugars" button, similar to the Adjust Equipment check box for mash temps/strike water calculations. 

Back