• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment settings for Maxi-BIAB

Andreas

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

First off I'd like to say hello - this is my first post in this forum and I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by asking something that may have already been posted on the board. If so, I am sorry but my lack of searching skills has led me to come to the point where I have to ask.

Secondly, my primary language is Swedish. If I express myself poorly I hope you'll bare with me on the matter.

Here goes;
I am restricted in my brewing since I only have room for an 18 l pot on my stove. I have made my first brew using BIAB, but felt like I had to guess a lot regarding volumes and such. I want to end up with a good 14 l of bottled beer, so given the restrictions of my small vessel I figured that Maxi-BIAB would be the right way to go.

I am really having trouble figuring out at what stage I should add extra water to reach my desired volume. For my initial brew I added 15 l of water to the vessel and mashed for 90 minutes.
I made an extra sparging of the bag and added this to the end of the boil to kill whatever bacteria I may have caught in the process. I did not bother to measure the amount of wort in this stage. Might have been a mistake though.

So, after the boil and chill, I measured the gravity and was amazed by how high it was - 1100! Most probably due to a significant boil off, but still. Since I was aiming for an OG at 1060 I added extra pre-boiled water to the wort until reaching that. I was very happy with the clarity and taste of the wort and ended up with almost 15 l of wort into the fermenter. How this will all end up is still uncertain since it's set to ferment for some time.

So, what I am looking for is a way to set up BeerSmith so that I can get a good and clear picture of how future brews will go.
As mentioned, my vessel is only 18 l and a 16 l boil is probably as high as I'd feel comfortable with. How should I set up my profile for let's say 14 l of bottling volume?

Besides the numbers in "Boiler" and "Fermenter/Bottling Volumes" I am fairly certain that I have got it right! Is it really that simple that I only need to add Top Up Water accordingly to make up for the drawback of having such a small vessel and not being able to make a "simple" BIAB brew in the first place?
Does topping up water prior to fermenting affect the result in any other way, or is this the golden ticket to reach a decent bottling volume from a smaller vessel? Would stars and planets align and bring me a fairly correct OG and bottling volume?

Best regards,
Andreas

Attachments

• well.tiff
    240.1 KB · Views: 2,105
your english is much better than my ability to speak any other language, so don't worry.

yes, top up water is your savior. i have a 20l brewpot and have to add top up water to make full 19l batches (after boil and cooling).
you will probably add around 7-9l cold water to fermentor once wort is mostly chilled to bring up your volume. never measure gravity until after top up water is added.

i have not done a BIAB yet, but am looking forward to it.

Hi,
I am from Sweden too, I have the same wonderings.
How to set up BeerSmith to MAXI-BIAB. Is that possible?Or don't I quit understand it.

Best regards
Henrik

Back