• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How many hops when expressed as %

Coopsville

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a copy of Mitch Steele's excellent IPA book as reviewed on the Beersmith podcast. I'm really enjoying the book and would like to brew some of the recipes. However, I'm a little confused by the way he expresses the hops in the recipes. For instance in the Goose Island IPA recipe he says: "Using only 100% pellets add 16% of Pilgrim T90 hops at the start of the boil. During the whirlpool add 60% Styrian Goldings and 24% Cascade T45 Pellets". But, ??% of what? The only other mention of any kind of ratio is for dry hopping where it says 0.5lb./bbl

Help please ???

I found this which may help you http://thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29027

Thanks Dazed. That's what I'd come to. The crazy calculation someone suggested there is pretty awesome. I may get a math genius mate of mine to come up with a spread sheet :) Pity there's not a BeerSmith button for allowing you to change the percentage IBU in the design window in the same way you can adjust the grain by a percentage, That's one to suggest for 2.2. Cheers mate.

Back