• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Total Water Needed

Thedoor

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've been using BeerSmith 2.1.02 for a few months now and it's is a fantastic application. However, I've recently noticed as I'm experimenting with this software an issue with the total water needed with my extract brewing.

The measured Pre-Boil is 5.70 Gal for a 5 Gal batch. This pre-boil takes into account the 8.8% evaporation rate with a .50 Gal boil Off which gives me a 5.20 Gal Post Boil Volume.  And another 0.21 Gal loss to cooling with a 4% Cool loss.  I am not using any mash, this is only a straight Extract brew and the total water needed for this brew is stating I need 6.90 Gals?

Currently the trub loss is 0.00 and the bottling and fermentation loss is 0.00 so it shouldn't be adding 1.20 Gals to the total water needed.

Is this a problem with the calculation? is the software attempting to calculate the water i need by using information that isn't present?

Thank you.

If you post up the recipe file I will take a look.

Thedoor --
You are correct that this is a software bug pertaining to extract brewing.  Brad is aware of it already.  He has said it will be fixed in the upcoming upgrade.

Ok great! I knew i wasn't missing something, but since i am pretty new to this and this software is the BOMB! i wanted to make sure. LOL

Back