• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipes Disappeared?

beernbourbon

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Cincinnati Ohio...Home of the resurrected Christia
So yesterday in the midst of a double bottle/double brew day(racking same brew on top of existing yeast), my laptop suddenly decided to turn off, and then turn back on by itself. When I went back to BS2, all recipes from the last month are gone, as well as the revised/updated equipment profiles I have been working on. Fortunately, I print every recipe before and after I brew, so nothing more than time to input the recipes is lost. Equipment profile tests on the other hand.... yeah, love starting over. 
Now, as it would happen this wonderful OS; W7pro, just did a series of updates. I don't much care for 'coincidences', so I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this the last few days, or even in the past, where an update to the OS causes lost recipes/data?

I have lost my equipment profiles several times and had my recipes change to ounces... Brad seems to think it has something to do with the OS sleeping or hibernating.  I never walk away from my PC w/o saving and closing BS. Since I started this, everything seems to be OK

Good luck
Rick

Hi,
  The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" which saves your data
  - Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith 2 installed from the main download page
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith 2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example), you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
    (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!

Brad

Brad-
Thanks for the reply, I know things are incredibly busy for you at the moment (is good right?)
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you....job change, out of town, blah blah blah...I know preachin' to the choir.
So, I did a bit of digging where the updates are vs. the beersmith 'bsmx' files. I could not get the TIME on the updates, but it was 6/15/13 in the early morning, when I first fired everything up. I remember because I was annoyed at having to wait on the damn thing to update.
The last date and TIME on every file was the same.... 6/16/13....at 9:55 am, until it got to version 2 of all the files "recipe2.bsmx" etc., then it went to the previous day, 6/15/13 at 7:47 pm, 3 was earlier that same day..... at 12:11 pm.....that's about the time it went down.
Well, your 'fix' did not work, unfortunately....at least not in the way you said....I have it, just not able to copy....
I think I've got it, at least I have the recipes and equipment profiles from that same day. Now my only issue is that when I go to copy to my current 'recipes' folder, it tells me I don't have enough room in my 'cloud'.....I'm not trying to copy it to my cloud, ya putz!.....lol...I'll get it figured out, now that I know which one is the most current, and it's not corrupted.... makes me much happier than I was a while ago.

Thanks Brad for all you do for us.....annoying as some of this stuff is, it's not as bad as having to do it by hand!

Scott

Update.....I bailed without saving, got into cloud, signed in, bailed on that (really could use a 'logout' button for this kind of situation) and re-opened BS2, opened old bsmx recipe3, copied, pasted, all good..... I seem to have lost my 'save' button tho...... I just kind of cringed when I closed and re-opened, hoping it was there....and all my recipes that I had copied there, where there.
I agree with the poster on the thread dealing with drop box, etc....it really would be beneficial to have each recipe as an individual file, rather than the whole mess..... better to save/share with other brewers.... IMHO
thanks again, Brad....

Back