• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjust temp for equipment or not?

cy2989

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure whether to check the adjust temp for equipment box.  I have a direct fired RIMS.  I'm heating my water in the tun to the temperature that BS2 calculates for the strike infusion.  I know that since my system is temperature controlled that if my initial temp is off a bit the temp controller will adjust it eventually, however, it takes about ten minutes for the grains to absorb water and during that time the recirculation is off.  If I start the recirculation sooner I will get a stuck mash.  So hitting my mash temp initially is important.

Since my mash tun is basically at the same temperature as the strike water I initially assumed that I should just leave the check box unchecked.  But then it occured to me that the stainless steel mash tun has a certain amount of thermal inertia and it might cause the initial mash temp to be high.  If I check the box but then set the tun temperature to the same temp that BS2 calculates for the strike water temp it seems to me that would be the most accurate.  Any thoughts on the best way to set this up?

Chris

I have a simple infusion set up, but have always favored being hot than cold.  It's easier to stir out or even add ice cubes if necessary, than it is to fetch hot water quickly and get that mixed well enough.    And once you do enough batches on your equipment, you will learn what temp is needed to hit the target.  In my case, I usually mash in at one degree higher than what BS estimated, without the equipment check. 

It is easier to cool than to warm as that's the direction it wants to go anyway.  Of course once I begin the re-circulation I can apply heat and do to hold the temp.

Since you're heating the mash water in the mashtun, leave the adjust for equipment box unchecked. Only the grain temperature matters, in your case.

With RIMS, HERMS and direct fire, a few degrees of adjustment is not an issue. Just count the start of your mash when you hit your target temperature.

Back