• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lagering using a Corney keg

cpapkt

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am curious to find out if you can lager in a corney keg without an air lock?  I have corney's with PRV's but not a lid for fermenting.  I would think I could do my normal primary and secondary and then move to a corney keg to lager in the fridge.  I would presume I would have to purge the O2 and put some CO2 in the keg when I lager.

I would like to make a Killian's clone again but need to lager it for 3 weeks and can't use my kegerator like I did with the first batch.  I am hoping to avoid using a glass carboy and chilling with ice and rags. 

Any help would be appreciated.

I would think I could do my normal primary and secondary and then move to a corney keg to lager in the fridge.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I make lager in the winter when I have a place in the basement where I can ferment and secondary them somewhere between forty and fifty degrees.  Each then goes into a corny keg that's placed into a chest freezer that's plugged into a Johnson controller set to 32.  After a month or so it's ready to tap and enjoy.  Tap it too early and it will have a "green" tang that will remind you of the worry you may experience when you taste the final gravity reading and wonder what you did wrong.  I assume you taste everything along the way.  I do.  Anyway. Try it.

Back