• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Acid Rest Question

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Can you let your mash sit for a while at acid rest temperatures (around 110 F) without risk? My thought is that since it is not in the protein rest temperature range, there should be no degradation of the proteins responsible for head retention, but are there any other risks I should be aware of?

I ask because I'd like to be able to mash in on a hefeweizen at 110 F and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then pull a decoction. While I'm raising the decoction to sacc temps and letting it rest before bring it to a boil, my main mash will just be sitting there hanging out at 110 F -ish for around an hour before the decoction is done and ready to be added back to the mash.

Anyone see any issues with this?

philm63
I've done this several times with 45 - 50 min rests in the temperature range 104-110F to get more complexity in my multi malt beers.
Worked always fine in my case. I expect no problems for you using a 60min rest at 110F.
Good luck!

Back