• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Go Ferm, FermaidK, etc.

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've been reading about mead making, and there's all sorts of nutrients needed for honey that beer wort doesn't need, but has anyone every tried the GoFerm type stuff that you use specifically while rehydrating the mead/wine yeasts on a dry beer yeast? 

I ordered some mead stuff and the ingredients to do a Marzen, and was thinking of using GoFerm with the 34/70 dry lager yeast. 

I made a simple mead of 3# honey in a gallon jug yesterday, and used Go-Ferm when rehydrating the yeast.    1.091 OG.  Plenty of oxygen.  Half pack of 71B Narbonne.

Wow.  Five hours later and the jug had a solid one-inch krausen already. 

The first two batches (no Go-Ferm) didn't do that, and they were around 1.070-ish.  Different yeast strains in each, but dramatic difference in start-up using Go-Ferm. 

I can't wait to use it on a beer dry yeast and see if it behaves any differently. 

I have found GoFerm has the same affect on beer and/or mead yeast.  Big improvement.  Are you doing SNA?

short for staggered nutrient additions?  yea, though I may have been late this time since it seemed to go very quickly. 

I'm trying to figure out the steps and timing before doing larger batches with more honey and fruit invested.

I add nutrients and oxygen at pitching, then nutrients daily until 30% sugar depletion, and stop the oxygen at 50%.  Curt Stock has a lot of mead info if you have time to search it.

Back