• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cream Ale Yeast Mistake

hennesse

Apprentice
Reaction score
I was planning to make a Gennesse-style Cream Ale, but as I was pitching the yeast into the starter, I noticed I had purchased White Labs WLP060 (American Ale Yeast Blend) instead of WLP080 (Cream Ale Yeast Blend).

The grain is ground, the starter is swirling on the stir plate, I have two months' yeast on hand, and I'm ready to brew first thing tomorrow morning...

Anyone familiar with these two yeasts? Is the result going to turn out a lot different than what I planned? If so, I might use all local water, and save the 9 gallons of bottled water for later.

For 10 gallons of finished beer
Amt Unit Description
13 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (18.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Liberty [3.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.25 oz Liberty [3.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min
2 pkg Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP080)

Rochester, NY Water
9.00 gal Water - Broad Run, Virginia
9.00 gal Water - Deer Park®, Bottled
1.3 g Salt (NaCl)
1.1 g Baking Soda (NaHCO3)
0.7 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4)

P.S. I'm making this "lawnmower beer" for a friend who remembers drinking many gallons of Genny in college years ago.

I would think the American Ale yeast would be fine as well.  The goal is clean and well-attenuated, which that yeast should deliver. 

A friend in our club actually won the AHA Club-Only for Light Hybrids recently with a Cream Ale, and what was notable was that it had a slight corn flavor without the corny sweetness.  Nice dry and crisp finish. 

Back