• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Calculating total grain bill across multiple recipes

Jerky

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am new to BeerSmith. I have been slowly accumulating all grain recipes and I am at the point where I would like to calculate the total weight of each type of grain required, across all of my recipes, so that I can easily determine which grains would make sense to buy in bulk.

For example, if seven of my twenty or so recipes call for 'Pale Malt (2 Row) US' as an ingredient, I would like to have BeerSmith tell me that the total amount of this grain required is x number of pounds, because I am lazy and don't want to add it all up by hand.

Is there a way to do this in BeerSmith? I have poked around the application a fair bit but have yet to find an obvious way to do this. I am running the latest available version.

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer.

Make sure your shopping cart is empty.  Then click on the recipes you want to use to calculate your entire grain purchase and click on "add to cart".  Once you have all the recipes you are interested in added to the cart, click on "shopping list" to see the total material bills.  You can remove items as needed to trim the cart down to the few items of interest in buying or add items as you wish.

When you are done and want to clear the cart, just click on "empty cart" to remove all items from the shopping list.

That would be a great way to consolidate total needs for a group/club to do a group buy for full bags from the LHBS or brewery. 

I.e., everyone send their next three month's of recipes to one person, put them in a folder, and shazam.  You could even combine the odd-ball stuff like pale chocolate and Special B into multiple-pound packages and keep those grains fresher as well. 

Aaah, it hadn't occurred to me to use the Shopping Cart to do this. Thank for the reply, I'll give that a shot later this evening.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I highlight an ingredient in a recipe and chick on add to cart, it adds the whole recipe to the shopping list. It would be nice if one ingredient at a time could be added.

It added the whole thing for me as well.  I guess the logic there might be that if you *know* you need an item, you could just add to the Cart. 

I would think the advantage of throwing all items in a recipe is that in the Cart, it compares that Amount, Inventory, and calculates the Needed amount.  This combines Needs across Recipes, and also gives you a chance to verify that Inventory before placing an order. 

I did test my idea of highlighting multiple recipes, and that was a bust.  For some reason, once you highlight two Recipes, adding to Cart is grayed out. 

Back