• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash volume all wrong

Huakalator

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to Beersmith2 and I was hoping to use it to create my first AG BIAB recipe.  I am using the mini-BIAB equipment profile and want to make apx 3 g batches.

However the mash volumes I am getting are all wrong.  My profile is set up for a 5 gal pot but the scaled down recipe is calling for 4.715 gal of mash water...  I feel like if I add 7 lbs of grain to this it will overflow. 

I also see that the program is telling me that the mash volume needed is 5.15 g and it has a little red dot telling me that this is bad.  Well ok then Mr Beersmith2 program sir please scale it down until I get a blue dot telling me everything is ok that's why I have this program to scale these kinds of things.

Then I try to read the manual and it has little relation to the actual program but I guess that is neither here nor there for now...

What am I doing wrong?  How can I fix this?  I see people making 3 g batches of BIAB all the time why is Beersmith telling me this is impossible?

Just to add to this for maximum clarity...

Here is what to do if you want to see exactly what I am seeing:

1) Choose an AG recipe.
2) Scale it using the mini-BIAB profile
3) Now change the mash instructions in the mash tab to BIAB settings

And now you will see that the volumes are way off and Beersmith says that making this beer is impossible.

Any assistance would be very helpful in this matter.

If you post your recipe file, I will take a look. Should be a .bsmx file

grathan said:
If you post your recipe file, I will take a look. Should be a .bsmx file

Unfortunately my trial mode of Beersmith2 has expired.

As I posted before, in my experience you can recreate this with nearly any AG recipe.  I posted what I am doing in my last post.  It will take 30 seconds.  The numbers always come out wrong.

I was hoping to use Beersmith to easily convert recipes to match my equipment.  But I see that you cannot do this so I will not be purchasing this product. 

For me just changing the trub loss from the default half gallon to 0 made the numbers blue again. No idea why Beersmith is so broken that you can't even make a simple biab batch.

Back