• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fly Sparging and Beersmith 2

Mtnmangh

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and recently purchased Beersmith 2.  I have always used a fly sparge method.  Not really sure why, just the way I've always done things.  I can't find anything on the mash section of the software except batch sparging.  Am I missing something, or does it really even matter?

Welcome.  Just don't click any of the batch sparge fields and it defaults to fly sparge.  When you view your brewsheet you can confirm this as it tells you how much water to fly sparge with.

Mark

Thanks.  I've never tried batch.  I know people who swear by it, but the extra time for fly doesn't really bother me I guess.

I've had good efficiency with both...it's whatever you prefer.  I'm getting between 80-85 brewhouse with my current setup...most of that is due to me using a new mash tun manifold.

Mark

I may have to try a batch sparge one time.  I also have a manifold that I built myself following John Palmer's plan.  Love it and I've never had a stuck mash, even using a high percentage of rye.

Back