• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Linux WINE questions

S

sherlock_holmboy

i've got beersmith up and running with WINE as outlined int the FAQ with just a few problems. First is that nothing shows up in the preview window even in text mode.
-
beersmith1.png

Second is that when editing a recipe there is no information displayed about  the added ingrediants.
-
beersmith2.png

Third and most interesting is when adding ingrediants there is nothing displayed, but i can still reorder by the different collums, so the data is there.
-
Screenshot.png

I can export the HTML and txt pages with no problems so it seems to be purely a display problem. Any help trouble shooting this would be much appreciated

Someone else was having this problem, but I believe one user resolved this.  Could you drop me an email and I can refer you to the other Linix users??

Thanks,
Brad

a recent update in WINE fixed the problem in the first screen shot

Hello,

I run beersmith with wine-0.9.25 and have the same problem. Did someone fixes?

To the developper:
What are the differences in the objects used for those lists? This  probably is a bug in wine and having this information could help to solve.

Thank you

Here's an email that Eric S sent me on running under Wine:
-------------------------------------------------------------
I just wanted to update you on Linux and Beersmith.  I have it running using WINE (http://www.winehq.com), so you don't need Win4Lin.

Here are my install steps:
1) Install Wine
2) At the command prompt, run "wine" to install your default folder
3) Download msvcr70.dll and msvcp70.dll from http://www.dll-files.com
4) Unzip the files and move the 2 dll files to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system
5) Download the Mozilla ActiveX control from http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm
6) Install the Mozilla ActiveX Control by running "wine MozillaControl171.exe" at the command prompt
7) Download Beersmith.exe
8) Run "wine Beersmith.exe"
9) Enter license key
10) Done!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers!
Brad

Hello,

Ok, this is the precedure to have it running. And it works. But the problem is it's not running "correctly". I mean some lists are not fully displayed.
some have talked about a font problem. I don't think it's a font problem as the first column is displayed correctly and, refering to the sceenshots on the site, it seems to be the same font used for all columns.

Here are three sample take from your site:

In linux the following screen is OK. Every objects are diplayed correctly.
beginn8.jpg

But here are differences:
beginn1.gif

(see linux screenshot attached to this message)

Attachments

• linux_list.jpg
    linux_list.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 663
I have asked support to winehq. It seems that there could be a problem the way elements are inserted in the lists (this is what I understood from the reply ;) )
You can find more info here.

Thank you

Frédérick

Frederick,
OK, I took a look at the actual code.

The first time through when updating a list, BeerSmith calls InsertItem (LVM_INSERTITEM) to set the text for the first column then calls LVM_SETITEM to set each subsequent column text for that new item.  This is consistent with the Windows spec - one must insert an item into a list before setting the columns.

After that, if doing an update BeerSmith will not recreate the list, but will instead use LVM_SETITEM to reset the text of all of the items that are already in the list, assuming the list has not grown.  I suspect it is this second round of updates that is causing the problem in Wine.  BeerSmith, for example, will LVM_SETITEM for column zero text if it already exists.  Again, this is consistent with the windows documentation.

One obvious fix, since these are short lists, would be to just rebuild the list every time from scratch using INSERT/SETITEM as we do the first time around.  I'm not sure this would fix it, but I suspect it might.

Brad

Brand new Beersmith user here ;D. I love the program and I love the fact that it almost works with WINE, but I'm having the same probs as sherlock_holmboy. I'd love to see a fix for this as I use windows on my Desktop and Linux on my laptop (Kubuntu 6.10). So I will keep checking back here for a solution and I will also see if I can find one myself. Thanks for the great program!!!!!!!!!!

Wavz
                                                                                                                                                            Jax, FL

If one of you would drop me an email, I will try to set it up so you can download a patch to see if it works.

Cheers!
Brad

Sent mine out last night ;D

Wavz

Great news guys...
A patch has been posted and should be added to a future version of wine (I hope 0.9.29 ).
I have applied it to my 0.9.28 and recompiled and it works fine now.

The patch and infos can be found here: http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2007-January/034583.html

Quick question Fram. How do you apply that patch?

Wavz

If you already compiled wine, first do a "make clean".
You copy the part between the first "---" and the "--" (just before the end of message) into a text file (without the "---" and "--" ).
You place the file at the upper level of sources.
You make a "cat <yourPatchFile> | patch -p1" from this directory.

Then "./configure" and "make depend && make" to compile wine
You can test this wine before to do a "make install"

Good news!
  I thought that the underlying code was correct - please download the wine fix if you have this problem.

Cheers!
Brad

Sorry Fram you kind of lost me on the install of this patch (sorta a linux noob, but i do understand some of the basics). I have the patch file made from the text, but you did lose me when you said "You place the file at the upper level of sources.". After that I understand how to do everything else.

Thanks ;D
                                                                                                                                      Wavz

Working like a charm now  ;D i would like to thank Fram and Beersmith for all of their great work!!!!!!!! Thank you ;D

Wavz

Back