• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Record batch specific information

deshymers

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to BeerSmith, and hopefully I just glossed over the answer to this question.

I am looking where we can either create a batch from a recipe or where we are suppose to record our dates/measurements for a particular batch.

Most of the answer I have found say to either copy/paste a recipe and change the date and version number, or just update the notes section of the recipe.

Is this the case?

I come from Beer Alchemy where there is a master recipe, and you create batches for that recipe, then you can record information that is specific to that batch like what your actual original gravity is for instance. This made it really easy to compare what you had and what you should have had. it also organized all your recipes/batches in a very clean manor with very little effort.

Thanks,
Des

I usually just copy a recent recipe and make changes. 

You can also make a recent recipe that has all your preferred settings the "master" recipe by clicking the button up top that says "Set As Default"

Once you do that, all new recipes will look exactly like the default until you start making edits. 

As to recording your actuals from brew day, you do that in the fields that say "Measured OG" "Measured Boil Volume" "Meas Pre-Boil volume" etc.

Ok Thank you, thats what I figured from talking to others and reading forum posts.

Thanks for the last bit about measured OG, etc I didnt see that, very cool that you can customize what you see and the order its in!

Thanks a bunch :)

What I usually do is highlight the recipe and click on 'copy to log'.  The recipe will then appear in a brew log file which appears under your 'my recipes' main folder.  From here, I can customize the recipe with the date, actual volumes, notes, changes, etc and not affect the original recipe.

Is "copy to log" available in the mobile app?  I don't see it when I copy.

Oginme said:
What I usually do is highlight the recipe and click on 'copy to log'.  The recipe will then appear in a brew log file which appears under your 'my recipes' main folder.  From here, I can customize the recipe with the date, actual volumes, notes, changes, etc and not affect the original recipe.

Is this in the new version I don't see it?

theckeler,  I am using version 2.1.02.  The 'copy to log' button is on the 'home' toolbar right next to the 'add folder' button.

Back