• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ingredients not equal to recipe

kimcyb

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new and about to attempt my first brew. I have everything laid out and ready to go, but I just noticed that the bag of fermentables I ordered online looks a little larger than expected. It is suppose to be 1 lb 11 oz, as per the recipe. My digital scale says its  3 lb 11 5/8 oz. Not sure what to do. Any suggestions or advice?

I assume this is an extract brew?  What ever it is provide the whole list of ingredients.  No one will be able to give you a good answer without all of the information.  We need the weight or volume and what it is.  A typical extract kit will have either Dry Malt Extract (DME) or Liquid Malt Extract (LME) and the main ingredient.  There is also likely to be some "steeping" grains.  The amount of DME / LME is critical, the amount of steeping grains is less critical.

Back