• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BS 2.1 won't start win 7

ckiaer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi!

After I installed the latest updates for windows 7, beersmith will no longer open. All it does is really rapidly show the start image, and nothing more happens. I've tried all the different fixes I've seen online, and nothing has worked. BS has been reinstalled, computer rebooted, c++ runtime has been reinstalled, all of which have been done several times.

How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Two things -
  1.  If you at some point changed the directory for storing files (using Change Directory on the File menu) email me as it may require some additional work.

2.  If you did not do that - try the following recovery procedure:

The "worst case" recovery process for a corrupt file in BeerSmith 2 is as follows:
  - Rename your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else like "OldBeerSmith" which saves your data
  - Make sure you have the latest version of BeerSmith 2 installed from the main download page
  - Restart BeerSmith2 - which will create a new BeerSmith 2 directory with the sample recipes in it
  - You will likely have to enter your registration key again
  - Once you have BeerSmith running again, use the Open command to open your old Recipe.bsmx file
    that is now in your "OldBeerSmith" directory  and then copy/paste any recipes you need into
    your new "My Recipes" folder
  - You can do the same with Equipment.bsmx, Hops.bsmx, etc... if you have added items beyond
    those that came with BeerSmith 2
  - If you can't open one of the files (Recipe.bsmx for example), you can also try opening the numbered
    backups (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) - these contain older copies of the original.
  - Let me know if you have any problems - and please keep your "OldBeerSmith" directory around
    (the one you renamed earlier) as it will have all of your data in it!

Back