• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Printing from BeerSmith

V

Val Lipscomb

Originally posted 28 Aug on our old message forum
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I loaded Beersmith trial version a couple of days ago and am pretty pleased.

EXCEPT,everytime I have tried to print the recipe I used for comparison,my printer goes nuts. It prints the first page OK but goes completely ape trying to print page 2.

It ain't the printer,it printed an 8 page e-mail just fine.

FWIW,I'm using Windows XP and Explorer is loaded.

Originally posted 28 Aug to our old message board
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Val -

BeerSmith actually uses Windows Explorer to print most of the documents since they are all in HTML format. I'm not sure why the Windows Explorer display would display correctly and then fail to print. Here's some alternatives to try:

1. Right-click on the recipe preview pane and print from there.

2. Try looking at and printing using the print preview function (File menu).

3. Try the "Save Item as Web Page" function on the Actions menu to save the file as HTML and see if you can open and print the HTML file.

Please email me with the results -- I'm very interested in solving your problem ASAP.

Thanks!
Brad
www.beersmith.com

Quick follow up...if you are having this problem...

I exchanged a few emails with Val and he reports that when he set his Netscape and Internet Explorer settings back to the default settings the printing function started working again.

He was using Netscape as his default browser, and reports that it now prints fine with Netscape still as his default browser.

Sincerely,
Brad
www.beersmith.com

Dear Beersmith, members,

I also happened on the program yesterday, great program and will definitely purchase!  I am having printing problems, running Win98 and tho I usually use N6 I tried opening Explorer but still no print.  I tried options suggested and the one that worked for me was saving it as an html page and then printing that -- worked fine; the other two options didn't.  Any other suggestions?

Second question:  If I purchase, Beersmith how will you handle updates/fixes?  Say you make some tweaks in the printing or other other features.  Will purchase allow no cost updates for a while?

Thanks much and happy brewing!

California Pale Ale bubbling along this morning and an IPA to start later this afternoon, in Madison, WI

Hi,
 Most of the printing issues we found with beta testing under Windows 98 were related to not having the latest fixes for Internet Explorer loaded under Windows 98.  Download the latest Explorer service pack for Windows 98 from here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/

As for our upgrade policy, anyone who purchases is entitled to free upgrades for all "minor" versions (i.e. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc....)  Major versions will be offered to registered users at a discount.

Since we are on 1.1, I don't expect to release another major version for at least a year or two, so you get free updates for that whole period.

Thanks!
Brad

I also happened on the program yesterday, great program and will definitely purchase!  I am having printing problems, running Win98 .... Any other suggestions?

Second question:  If I purchase, Beersmith how will you handle updates/fixes?  Say you make some tweaks in the printing or other other features.  Will purchase allow no cost updates for a while?

Thanks much and happy brewing!

Dear BeerSmith,

Thanks for your response on both the printing issue and update policy.  I'm going to download the latest IE and see if that doesn't get it working.

As for your update policy, great policy and very user friendly!  This will definitely make purchasing BeerSmith very worthwhile!

Thanks again.
Gordon

Back