• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

fly sparge calculations

celo626

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - rather new to the BS2 software.  I've been using it for about 4 months to do about 7 batches of all grain or so.  My confusion is in the fly sparging volumes.  The last batch I brewed was a single infusion with mash out for light body.  The mash water (including mash out) was a total of 3.75 gallons, which was all perfect.  The sparge water, however, required 7.69 gallons, with only .89 being lost to grain absorbtion.  I collected the full 6.25 gallons needed for my setup, but still had about 4 gallons of extra sparge water.  What setting am I missing that creates superfluous amounts of sparge water (fly sparging).  At least this time I knew enough to stop collecting.  My last recipe, I kept sparging with all the water, and ended up with a 2.5% ABV brew.  :( 

Checking the "adjust mash tun for deadspace" button boosts the sparge water even higher (9 gallons or so).  The mash volumes and temps are dead on, but I can't comprehend the high sparge volumes. 

I'd really not rather heat up an extra 4 gallons of water if I don't need them.  Any suggestions on where I'm going wrong?

You could post up the .bsmx recipe file? I can't imagine what is going on.

Sounds like the 'mash out' quantity and perhaps some equipment settings for losses? 

.bsmx file for Equipment Profile would help, as grathan noted.

I mash-out with 5 quarts, and BS2 has me sparging with slightly more than I mash with, but not four gallons more. 

Style: American IPA
Recipe: 14B Elbow Deep IPA TYPE: All Grain

EE%: 71.00 % Batch: 5.25 gal      Boil: 7.50 gal BT: 75 Mins

Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 11.7 oz Total Hops: 8.10 oz oz.

Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time   
Mash In          Add 15.54 qt of water at 161.8 F        151.0 F      60 min       
Mash Out          Add 5.00 qt of water at 210.3 F        164.0 F      10 min       

Fly sparge with 4.11 gal water at 168.0 F

Posting your details as Grathan and Maltlicker said, would lead to a more accurate answer.

But, a rule of thumb that worked for me was total boil volume plus 0.7 quarts per pound. I never like to run my grain bed completely dry because flow slowed so much, So, that figure would get me to a dry HLT and water that would end up a couple of inches below the grain surface when I was finished.

In time, I learned to stop my sparge inflow at 1.014 and outflow at 1.008. Whatever water was left over was used for cleaning.

Back