• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water profile for English Porter

nemesis2a

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I am almost ready to start my first all grain batch, but having problem with water profile. I was going to use spring water, but thinking of using RO water instead. I tried using Beersmith to do the calculations but it only gives me distilled water for my base profile. I am using London as my target profile. If I use distilled as my base and do the calculations the totals are not the same as my target. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

I thought there was a video, but I don't see it on the videos page.  ???

You mean when you set distilled as the Base Profile and London as the Target Profile on 1 gallon it has -5.8 less ppm Ca, -9.5ppm less Mg, -10.1 ppm Na +2.4 SO4 etc.... ?

Hi gratham

Yes that is what is happening, but my base profile is 6.25gal, and want to use RO water instead of distilled. Only gives you the option for distilled water.

You can create a new Base Profile, Just Put RO water in the Name box, put the amounts in and click Save Totals.

The amounts don't match with distilled because it's not possible to put just calcium in. You put either calcium sulfate, calcium chloride, or calcium carbonate so you get extra sulfate, chloride, or carbonate even if you don't want it.

Back