• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brown Porter Recipe, Need Help

ben2904

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Im trying to build up a recipe which I think that may work good for me.
this is what I have so far:
all grain
20-22 Liter Batch full size boil
4 kgs 2 row pale malt
0.5 kgs brown malt
0.350 kgs chocolate malt
0.250 caramel/crystal malt
0.250 flaked wheat (mabye something else that will work better)
20-30 gr Northern Brewer Hops 60min
30 gr East Kent Goldings Hops 20min
Yeast - I dont have any yeast yet, need help with it.
mash 67-70 C for 60min
mash out to 75 C wait 10min
take first liquids
sparge at 75C wait 10min
take second liquid

This is my first all grain recipe that I make and that I built by my self.
(Of course that I've read some recipes and took the things that I like out of each)

I need you to help me with that rest and tell me what do you think about it, if I should change something or anything.

thank you.

Looks fine.  If you're going for English character, you might use 2-3 kgs of Maris Otter rather than all 2-row for the base malt. 

Wyeast 1028 is great for porters if you want liquid.  For dry yeast, I'd say S-04. 

I'd mash at 67C or 152F.........any higher and the body may be bigger/fuller than you want for a light session porter.

Maris Otter is awesome!  I made three Irish reds with it one year.  Blackstone ( A local brewery in Nashville) made a Maris Otter English Style Pale Ale this Spring and it was delicious.  The crazy folks put all of their brewing info on the bottom of the sixer.  I'm totally gonna clone it!

Back