• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dual temperature controlled glycol/cartridge heater fermentor

ouldefauder

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am attempting to make a dual fermentation chamber. I intend to be able to provide heat or cool as required to two separate fermentation areas. Temperatures between the two chambers could differ by as much as 30 degrees F. The entire system will be 115/120 vac except for for the pump in the freezer which will be 12 v dc. I have ordered 2 STC1000 temperature controllers and have 2 Hayden 503 coolers. I will use copper heat sinks from CPU coolers with attached aluminum blocks in which the Morheat cartridge heaters are installed to provide heat. Fans are 4.7 x 1.5 170 cfm, 115 volt units. I intend to purchase a 17cu foot fridge to provide the cool from the freezer section and perhaps in the future use the frig portion to cool kegs exiting to dispensers. Currently bottling. Has anyone tried this and if so do you have any advise?
Carpentry and electrical or electronics are not an issue for me. Its what I do.

This idea has crossed my mind before.  I was thinking about a fermentation chamber and an aging chamber, both controlled by one freezer/heater.  My plan, while the idea was viable, was to use a small connecting passage between the two chambers with a temperature controlled fan.  When the higher temperature chamber needed cooling the fan would blow cold air from the colder chamber.  The colder chamber would react and turn on cooling gadgets.  It's just how a refrigerator with a freezer works.

I'm now working on a dual mode temperature controller using a 7cu freezer with a 60 watt light bulb for the heater.  I have a home made gadget for the electronics.  It uses Cainetworks webcontrol board with two 10 am SSRs and three DS18B20 temperature probes.  I'm working on my PID constants now.  I suffered a setback when my mechanical relay for controlling the freezer fused and the freezer ran all night.  Fortunately it didn't burst my bucket but the freezer was at 28 deg. F and the water was frozen solid.  haha!  Pretty exciting.

I notice you don't have any other replies so far.  My experience is that when things get too technical the forum get quiet. :)

Keep posting.  I am interested in seeing how it turns out.

Back