• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Volumes

invmgmt

Apprentice
Reaction score
Okay...still getting used to Beer Smith.
I am building a Wheat Beer. In the mash in it states to use 22 quarts of water.  But below it indicates that the mash volume should be 6.75 gals.  Why are the numbers different?

Also, is it common to have such strange volumes for the sparge? (0.65, 4.23, 4.23)

If you are talking mash volume needed this is in reference to your mash tun.  it's telling you how much volume you need to support the amount of grain and mash water required in your recipe.

That's normal for sparge.  It's using your equipment profile, total water needed, etc to calculate those amounts. 

Mark

Okay, but with the 'sparge"amounts, is it okay to 3/4 of a gal the first step?  I don't have something to accurately measure 0.65 gal.

Is it a default beersmith batch sparge profile? I remember it being funky the first time I used it.

I have unchecked "use equal batch sizes"

and have checked "drain mash tun before sparge" and use %90 of volume. thogh these might be defaults.

To get mash volumes in gallons instead of quarts go to "options" on the 4th menu bar down. Click on units and change the "Mash Vol Units" to "gal".

Back