• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith Recipes File

CptnKickass

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I and my two best friends have copies of BeerSmith. I've been working on a way that we can all share recipes, reliably. The cloud doesn't really work for a few reasons:

1. I have to work out of the cloud folder, because if I don't, changes I make to the default "My Recipes" folder are not automatically added to my cloud recipes.
2. I am limited to 10 recipes on a free account, something I disagree with as the recipes file is a mere 150 kB
3. To work with my friend's recipes, I have to save their recipe to my cloud, modify it, then they have to re-save the modified version back to their cloud.

The solution I decided was to try and move my "Recipes.bsmx" file to my Google Drive folder, and symlink it back to the Beersmith2 folder. My hope was that by doing this, I could share the "Recipes.bsmx" file with my two friends over Google Drive and they could do the same symlink, allowing us to all have the same "My Recipes" folder across 3 different computers. The issue I ran into is that with Windows, neither a soft nor hard symlink works. BeerSmith appears to delete the symlink and replace it with a default Recipes.bsmx file. If I junction the entire "Beersmith2" folder, then it works, but I end up having a large amount of Google Drive sync errors due to the excessive files which I don't need to sync.

Does anyone know of a way I could work around my symlink issue and get this to work the way I want to?

Thanks.

Hi,
  I personally recommend using the cloud (upgrade one account so you can all share). 

The problem with working on files off shared drives is that BeerSmith has no checks to prevent one copy of BeerSmith from overwriting another so if you have two copies working on the same shared drive they will overwrite each other and you will lose data.  That's why its not recommended.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  I personally recommend using the cloud (upgrade one account so you can all share). 

The problem with working on files off shared drives is that BeerSmith has no checks to prevent one copy of BeerSmith from overwriting another so if you have two copies working on the same shared drive they will overwrite each other and you will lose data.  That's why its not recommended.

Brad

Hi Brad,

Does this also apply to wanting to run Beersmith across two machines on the same network? I want to be able to use Windows One Drive as the single point so that any changes to Beersmith is taken into account when launched by the other machine.

Back