• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Utilization

W

wbc_leelee

Hi All
When I make an all grain I typically do a 21.5 lt batch (into fermenter) wich means aprox 26 lt of wort goes into the boil. If I require an IBU of say 26 does Beersmith adjust the amount of hops to take into consideration the extra 4 lt of wort at the start of the boil, or isn't this required.
Regards
Andrew

Andrew,
 BeerSmith uses both the starting boil volume and the final beer volume to calculate the IBUs as these are factors that come into play in all of the hop utilization equations.

For example - start with one of your all grain (full boil) recipes and then adjust the boil volume down to about half the normal value (simulating a partial boil).  You will see a large difference in the IBU calculated for the beer.

Losses during the boil also come into play as that effects the starting boil volume used in the calculations.

Cheers!
Brad

Back