• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Volume/temperature issues

brewbush

Apprentice
Reaction score
Howdy
Still trying to work out bugs with my recipes and get the numbers to come out correctly.  Below is an IPA recipe that I chose "Single infusion, medium body".  Now, I used to use the mash option with the batch sparge...but these options do not give a mash out and I have to enter it myself.  When I did that the volumes never corrected each other.

So, using the above option it tells me to start with 17.5qts and add 9.8 for the mashout.  However the step with batch sparge on the brewsheet says to use 0.86 gallons!  This does not seem correct.  I went back and checked the option to use equal amounts for sparge, but that did not change any numbers either.  Which mash option is best to use to to a single infusion with mashout and batch sparge?  FYI, I use the standard equipment setup of the 6gallon pot and 5 gallon cooler.  I have also tried fiddling with these settings but nothing changes the volumes/temperatures in the recipes?

The other question I have.  The box near the mash options when entering a recipe that says correct for equipment.  When this is checked/unchecked it does NOT change any temperatures....it only puts in the words WARNING PREHEAT mash tun or something similar, but the temperatures are the same. 

Thanks
Jon

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bush IPA
Brewer: Bush
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal     
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 10.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
12.00 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        85.7 %       
0.50 lb      Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        3.6 %       
0.50 lb      Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM)            Grain        3.6 %       
0.50 lb      Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain        3.6 %       
0.50 lb      Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain        3.6 %       
1.00 oz      Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%]  (60 min)    Hops        39.0 IBU     
1.00 oz      Amarillo Gold [8.50%]  (15 min)          Hops        11.7 IBU     
1.00 oz      Amarillo Gold [8.50%]  (0 min)            Hops          -           
1.00 oz      Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%]  (Dry Hop 3 dHops          -           
1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)      Yeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
----------------------------
Name              Description                        Step Temp    Step Time   
Mash In            Add 17.50 qt of water at 165.9 F    154.0 F      60 min       
Mash Out          Add 9.80 qt of water at 196.6 F    168.0 F      10 min       

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok,
  I changed the equipment to 10 gallon cooler and 12.5 gallon pot.  I really use an 8 gallon pot and 68qt cooler. 
I unchecked the "fix volumes to pot size" box and put in my boil volume of 6 gallons....and batch size of 5.5 gallons after the boil.  The starting mash in and out volumes look correct at 1.25qt/lb.  Now the batch sparge step says 1.11 gallons. 

Still a bit low but I am guessing it takes into account a grain absorption factor of about 0.1gallons/lb grain and just has you "sparge" with what will give me the 5.5 gallons in the pot pre-boil.

Is this correct and am I putting the recipes/options in correctly?

Thanks again

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bush IPA
Brewer: Bush
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal     
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 10.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
12.00 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        85.7 %       
0.50 lb       Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        3.6 %         
0.50 lb       Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM)             Grain        3.6 %         
0.50 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        3.6 %         
0.50 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        3.6 %         
1.00 oz       Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%]  (60 min)    Hops         39.0 IBU     
1.00 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50%]  (15 min)           Hops         11.7 IBU     
1.00 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50%]  (0 min)            Hops          -           
1.00 oz       Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%]  (Dry Hop 3 dHops          -           
1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)      Yeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
----------------------------
Name               Description                         Step Temp     Step Time     
Mash In            Add 17.50 qt of water at 170.1 F    154.0 F       60 min       
Mash Out           Add 9.80 qt of water at 198.5 F     168.0 F       10 min       

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon,
  After reading your first message, I was going to strongly suggest looking at your equipment settings.  The equipment data (mash tun size and mash tun material) is used to determine a lot of the numbers for batch sparging and equipment adjustments.

Here is a FAQ on how to set up your particular equipment:
      http://www.beersmith.com/equipment_setup.htm

That should resolve most of the issues.  Yes - you are very close with the second post above, but if you put in your actual equipment data you will get a more accurate set of calculations.

Cheers!
Brad

Ok
Entered my equipment exactly.  However the numbers really didnt change much and it still has 17.5qts at mash in, 9.8qts at mash out, and 0.92gallons at batch sparge?

It seems the mashout water is what is killing the calculation.  Using the preset batchsparge (that doesn't have a set-mashout-step in them) the batch water volume is 3.x gallons.  I then add a STEP temp to 170 degrees....and it requires 11qts to get the added water under boiling temperatures.......and the batch number drops below a gallon.

I guess there is no way around this unless I do mashouts with recirculation/heat and not adding water.

Does this seem like correct logic?

Yes,
  Unfortunately a mash out by infusion does take a significant amount of water because you need to raise the entire mash by 20 degrees or more, and you can't infuse with water that is above boiling.  You could reduce the amount of water for the mash out in the profile if you like.  Doing a mash out will improve your sparge somewhat by increasing viscosity during the sparge - and reduce the chance of a stuck mash.  However many brewers do not perform a mash out.

Another alternative is to simply use higher than normal sparge water at the start of the sparge to ensure a smooth sparge.

Cheers!
Brad

Back