• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What a differnce a year makes

R

Rookie

I just saw the results from the Clark county (WA) homebrew compitition and my English Barleywine, "Olde Sloppyknickers"took second with a 45.
  Last year this beer barely cracked the top 20, mostly it was too hoppy. After a year of additional aging the hopness faded just right.

Congrats!!

Now you have to have a few to celebrate ;D

Don

Wow!
  A 45 is a fantastic score.  It must be very good.  I've always wanted to do a barleywine, but have not yet had the patience.  When did you bottle and how long did you store it?

Cheers!
Brad

BeerSmith said:
Wow!
  A 45 is a fantastic score.  It must be very good.  I've always wanted to do a barleywine, but have not yet had the patience.  When did you bottle and how long did you store it?

Cheers!
Brad

This beer was bottled june 2004. After one year it was good, but too hoppy. After two years it was just right.

BW is always better with age.

I make one every Thanksgiving and don't even think about touching until the next holiday season.  I have one now that is 3 years old and I love it.

I also have a 2 year and one coming up on one.

My babies are growing up :'(

Don

the same goes for meads... although I had one that took 2nd and another that took 3rd in a brewing comp here in Atlanta one year... and those were bottled 3 days prior to the comp... 3 days and they were pretty good...after 4 years... they were incredible to bad they're all gone now

Thanks.
I also entered an Imperial Stout last year that ended up in 16th place. I rebrewed it after the comp. and entered it again this year, guess what spot it took this year. Yep, 16th again.

Looks like Barley wines are popular, I tried one in England 20yrs ago and loved it, although I have never tried brewing one myself.
Rookie or anyone else care to share their recipe and I will give it a shot. But 2 yrs seems like a long time to wait  :-[.

Cheers
Andrew

Try this one
http://beerdujour.com/recipe.htm  Look for the "Malted Bliss"  Mash for fermentability (148-150F) and ferment cool (Ambient of 65F works great).  I'll drop the carapils and boost the munich (or the MO if you choose)  The BeerSmith icon will download a .bsm file.

Hints,  check this out.  http://beerdujour.com/Howtobrewabigbeer.htm

Fred

Andrewqld said:
Looks like Barley wines are popular, I tried one in England 20yrs ago and loved it, although I have never tried brewing one myself.
Rookie or anyone else care to share their recipe and I will give it a shot. But 2 yrs seems like a long time to wait  :-[.

Cheers
Andrew

Olde Sloppyknickers (3 gallons)
11 3/4 lbs. Maris Otter pale malt
1 lb. light munich malt
12 ozs. carastan malt
2 ozs. of chocolate malt   
The chocolate malt was not in the previous batch, but I want this a bit darker the next time I brew it.
1 1/2 ozs. Target @ 11% for 60 minutes
5/8 oz. E. Kent Goldings @ 5% for 15 minutes
1/4 tsp. irish moss for 15 minutes
WLP007 (large starter)
mash @ 150 for 60 minutes 

Excellent stuff Rookie and Bonjour, Thanks for the recipes and links. Next brewday I think I will put down a small batch. I can get hold of 250ml bottles, do you think that size is appropriate given the high Alcohol content?

Cheers
Andrew

I always bottle mine in 12 oz bottles.  Keep in mind that you will need 12 oz bottles for competition.

Fred

bonjour said:
I always bottle mine in 12 oz bottles.  Keep in mind that you will need 12 oz bottles for competition.

Fred

I have five bottles of this batch left. I plan to have one in march and if it holds up (I expect it will) enter it in the AHA national compitition in april.

Back