• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling sugar

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
This is just an "I want to learn more" type of question.

I've found that when I boil my DME or corn sugar for bottling, that the amount of boil off is much greater in my larger pot than in a smaller pot.  I know the reason for this, since more BTU's are able to be better supplied to the larger surface area of the bottom of the larger pot.

With the small pot I'll have about 1-1/4 cups of bottling sugar water left after my 15 minute boil, while with the large pot, I'll have about 3/4 cup of bottling sugar water left after the boil.

I understand that I'm still putting the same amount of sugar into my bottling bucket.  It's basically like having an extra vigorous boil when it's in the larger pot.  I have tried turning down the burner to get a gentle boil, but it still boils off a lot.

I don't like using the smaller pot, because I'm constantly fighting boil overs with it, due to the small size.

My questions are:
Do you think I can get away with starting with 3 cups of water to boil my bottling sugar in?  Will it make any difference?  I'm thinking it won't.
Can I reduce the amount of boil time in the larger pot, since the boil is so vigorous, so that I'll have 1-1/4 cups of bottling solution still?
I seem to be getting a little bit of carmelization occuring in the larger pot, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the beer flavor.

Any thoughts or comments or whatever will be greatly appreciated.

I have a keezer fund started, but it will be at least a year before I can start kegging and have the issue taken care of that way.

I have always used corn sugar for bottling.  From what I gather corn sugar only needs to be boiled for sterilization, and normally not over 5 minutes, then cooled and added to the bottling bucket.  I bottle 3 gal batches and usually only use 3/4 cup water with the corn sugar which to me is sufficient. 

I use to use the corn sugar, but found that I was only purchasing corn sugar for bottling.  I always have DME on hand for when I miss my gravities by a bunch on my mash.  It doesn't happen often, but I have it anyhow.  I also found that I like the carbonation better with DME than with corn sugar. 

The bubbles just seem...well....silkier...less sodapopish with DME.  I determine the amount of bottling sugar based on the style and input it into beersmith by volumes and then use the amount suggested.

Since I started using beersmith to determine the amount of bottling sugar, I rarely get negative comments from judges on carbonation.

With corn sugar, DME or any bottling sugar, the main goals are completely dissolving and pasteurizing it.

Boiling a larger volume of water to drive off chlorine or precipitate CaCO3 doesn't have to include the sugar.

At the point you're comfortable with the water's readiness, cut the heat, add in the sugar or DME and stir to dissolve. Keep a fast reading digital thermometer handy. If it's above 180F (82C), pasteurization happens in less than 1 minute. You can go the extra distance and simmer for a few minutes, but it doesn't need a full 20 minute rolling boil. You're not working against other bacterial loads like you would with a full batch of wort.

I always just dumped the hot mixture directly into an empty, sanitized bottling bucket and then immediately syphoned the beer on top of that. The beer cools the sugar mixture and the swirling of the racking evenly distributed the sugar. I never had to stir.

Back