• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Errant Mash Temps after adding steps

gevans

Brewer
Reaction score
In Beersmith I like to add steps to the mash to utilize the timer that is already running to remind me to check the PH and start the HLT.  Usually have the original Mash In for 10 minutes, then Check PH for 10 - 20 minutes dependent on the mash, and then Start HLT for x minutes to finish the mash.  I set the 'type' to temperature for my added steps.  It would be nice to have a 'Comment' step?

I discovered yesterday during brew, that when I add those steps in, then copy the recipe and paste it into the 'Brewing Currently' folder, it reorders the steps and changes the temperature of the 'Mash In' strike water.

I've seen reorder them before, not an issue and I've just moved them back.  But I've been having an issue hitting my mash temps lately and paid really close attention to the numbers when I discovered this.

Am I doing something wrong by adding in the steps, or is it supposed to do this or maybe an issue that needs to be addressed?  Now that I know it, I will just make sure I print before moving the recipe, and re-verify the number and change it.

Thanks

Mash steps will get reassembled into ascending temperature order.  I have a couple of steps in my mash profile similar to what you're doing. In my case, the steps add a degree to the profile. 

So, what happens if you add a tenth to each temperature step? The tenths will get hidden from view, but BS will look at the decimal for assembly order.

I like the idea of a 'comment' or prep step for use with the timer. That would be super useful!

Sounds like a good plan with the tenths.  I will try that and post how it works next brew day.  Maybe Brad will give us comments in the next release?  ;D

Back