• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

All Fuggle ESB

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have enough Marris Otter, British Crystal and Whitel Labs 002 to make an ESB this weekend.  I have lots of fuggles but aside from that I have no EKG.  I figure I'll push ahead anyway with the idea that a single British hop esb isn't the worst thing in the world.  My question is, I was given three ounces of locally produced fuggles.  they smell great, I was thinking that maybe an ounce at flameout might be the way to go? 

Thoughts on how to use 3 oz of locally grown Fuggles ? 

thanks

WR

Well if you know for sure they are fuggles, the alpha acids can't be too far off.  Just take your favorite recipe and swap them in.

Then send a six pack to me to see how it worked :)

Locally grown, as is whole cones?  Or fully processed like we're used to? 

If cones, acid extraction/isomerization might suffer, so you may need more at 60 minutes and maybe use less at flameout? 

You could also use any other standardized, clean bittering hop you have for the FWH/60-minute addition, and use all the local Fuggles at 25-minutes and less so you can really taste and smell them.  Half ounce every five minutes.....25.20.15.10.5.flameout?  Or full ounces starting at 10 mins? 

ML

they are cones.  the guy who grew them didn't want anything for them, just input into how they worked out.  I have two ounces of pellet Fuggles so I figured I'd use those for the bittering and flavor additions and then the whole cones at flameout since I have no idea the alpha acids or anything. 

You're hopping schedule seems really interesting though.  Almost like an APA, have you ever hopped an ESB like that before?  How did it turn out?  I'd definitely consider using the cones for the flavor additions too if I can be convinced it would be worth the try. 

thanks or the input

WR

I made an English ESB during the Vancouver, WA brewfest.  I was the demo brewer for our local homebrew club (Cascadia Homebrewers Alliance) on Saturday night of the festival.  I used all fuggles leaf hops.  I used 3 ounces at 60 minutes and 1 ounce at 5 minutes.  I'm bottling it tonight, so I don't have any feedback on how it tastes yet.

My grain bill was:
Maris Otter 11.75 pounds
Victory Malt .5 pounds
Crystal 40 .5 pound
Crystal 120 .5 pound

I used Scottish Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1728)

This was a special bitter I did with similar hopping.  I like flavor additions as well as end-of-boils. 

Since you have cones, I'd think you'd get the best results under five minutes for aroma: fresh cones are unknown commodities. 

Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
0.33 oz              First Gold [9.50 %] - First Wort 90.0 mi Hop          8        10.7 IBUs   

---BOIL PROCESS---------------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG Est OG: 1.050 SG
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
0.67 oz              First Gold [9.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop          10      22.5 IBUs   
0.50 oz              Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 25.0 min        Hop          11      5.5 IBUs     
0.50 oz              Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min        Hop          12      4.8 IBUs     
0.25 oz              Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop          17      0.0 IBUs     

Scott and ML,

thanks for the input, I think I'm leaning toward a 1.5 oz FWH and then a 1 oz addition at 15 and then another oz at zero.  Since I only have three ounces I'll use .5 oz of the pellets I have to make sure there is some bittering going on.  One of the best ESB's I ever did had a hop schedule of 1.5 FWH and then a 15 minute oz addition and that was it.  These hops smell really good though so I think I'm willing to finish the lot at 0 minutes and see what happens.  Its a hobby right?  What's the worst that can happen? 

BT,

If it turns out good I'll let you know then you can send me your address so I know where to forward the goods  ;)

thanks for all the help, its much appreciated!

WR

I think an exchange of ESB's would be a great idea.  We could taste each others Fuggles ESB's!

Fuggle is one of my favorite hops, but unless they were tested you really can't be sure what the alpha content is. 

Personally I would only use untested hops for flavor and aroma. But that's just me.

Pretty much how it went Maine.  I used the pellets for my FWH and then the cones for the 15 and 0 minute additions.  It smelled great but you never know.  It's already started fermenting so hopefully in a week or so I'll be able to have a taste and see how it turned out. 

Back