• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

exclamation mark next to grain

rgiaquinta

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am trying to create a new recipe, and when I add a grain, the name appears on the recipe sheet with an exclamation mark to the left of it.  Furthermore, the entire "mash profile" area is greyed out; I can't set a mash profile.  Finally, the estimated OG is much lower than would be expected.  I'm guessing these things are connected...any ideas?

Oops, I just figured it out...my mistake.  I'm going to leave this thread up, however, because my search for "exclamation mark" came up empty, and maybe someone can learn from my mistake. 

The problem was that I had set the "recipe type" field all the way at the top to "extract" and I was entering a recipe for all-grain.  Fixing this remedied all of my problems.

Yes,
  By default the program will flag grains that must be mashed if you are brewing an extract brew.  This prevents you from using "must mash" ingredients when using extract.

Cheers!
Brad

Back