• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Request a bit more of info on strike-water temp

Nohup

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey, I know you're busy making the best brewing software evah...
But this one thing would help me out a TON.

Short version:
I want to know the temp of the strike-water in the mash tun, before I add the grain.

Long version:
So, I heat up my strike-water in the kettle, get it at the estimated temp.  Then I have to scoop and dump the water into my mash tun.  That takes a good bit of time, and adds some variability to the strike-water.
What would be AWESOME, is at that point, (before I add the grain) is if I could double-check the temp of just the strike-water and the tun.  If I'm low or high, I could adjust the temp right there.  Once I put the grains in, I can check the temp, but then it's too late to heat the water up, (I can't fire my insulated mash tun)

Give it some thought if you will.
I imagine the value is already computed somewhere in your strike-water temp calculation, it would just be nice to have it available as a check before the grain goes in.

Thanks for reading,
Nohup

I do that same process.  The easy way is to overheat the water, higher than BS2 states, and transfer it while it's too hot.  For ex, I want to mash at 152F, it might say strike at 163F, so I heat and transfer at 170F. 

It loses heat during the transfer, and loses some heat to the cold MLT, but the benefit is that the MLT will be fully pre-heated, so I know I am working with just two variables, water and grains, and I have gradually learned exactly how much to adjust in order to be pretty accurate. 

Once you learn those temp losses that are unique to your system, you will know how high to over-shoot the strike temp. 

The other big variable that has more effect than a few degrees high or low is the water volume you put into the MLT.  A quart high or low can dramatically affect the mash-in accuracy. 

I add the water directly into my mash tun with the grain already in it.  I just do it slowly so as not to overheat the grain.  I rarely lose much.  Even on a fly sparge with a kettle with a lid, where I expected dramatic cooling, After measuring, I found it hardly cooled at all.  I have had a few times where things were a little hot or cold.  Just add a little boiling water or a little cold water to your mash (in small increments) until you have it right where you want it.

Also, for me heat loss varies depending on what time of year it is.  In TN, it can be terribly hot in the summer.  You lose almost NO heat at all.  Winter is a different story.  I agree with Maltlicker. With a few recipes under your belt, you should have it honed in.

Software uses known formulas for thermal heat dynamics based on perfect conditions.  There are immense if not infinite number of variables specific to each brewer, their equipment and process.  Software cannot account these variables so you have to experiment on your system and process to determine the heat loss after the hot water has settled into your mash tun.  As long as you keep your process the same, you will know how to alter the calculated strike water temp to achieve a consistent temperature for your system.

Like Maltlicker, I have determined the temp loss on my system abd simply raise the temp of the strike water to accommodate the loss.  Mine is about 15F since I use a pump.  When I use a 2L measuring cup to manually move water, I lose about 10F-15F so I end up adjusting it in the mash tun using boiling or cold water. 

Back